Skip to main content

the discipline of God is real and it is an act of love

Don't you hate discipline? I know I did when I was a kid. I never enjoyed having to face the consequences of my behavior. Now as an adult the shoe is on the other foot. Often I am the one doing the disciplining and it sucks. I find no joy when I have to discipline my kids. But I know that it is necessary. I needed it when I was young so that I would learn to make solid decisions. My own kids need it now so that they will develop into mature, moral, responsible, and noble young adults.

I was listening to an archived sermon by David Johnson on Hebrews 12:4-11, regarding the discipline of God. He preached that God does not punish us for our sins. Its real easy to confuse or combine discipline and punishment. But God does not punish us for our sins because the punishment reserved for us has already been handed down to Jesus when he died for us on the cross. We can never make restitution to God for our sin, only Jesus could accomplish that.

Therefore we shouldn't think of God's discipline as punishment. Instead we should view God's discipline in three ways: 1) as a corrective or turning mechanism so that we walk in the right way ; 2) as a preventive measure to keep us from doing wrong; 3) as a tool for education. All of these three things are gifts from God so that we might seek him more passionately and enjoy him more thoroughly.

There was one line during the message that really stuck with me. I didn't catch the reference of the quote but Johnson said (my paraphrase), "If we would immediately respond to the taps of the Spirit we would avoid many of the raps of the Father."

Because God is good and gracious and loving he disciplines his children. God desires that we would live rightly. In fact, if you don't ever receive the discipline of the Father you need to check whether or not you are a son. I know that is bold sounding but think it through. I am completely depraved. I will screw-up. I need a loving Father that disciplines me (remember this is different than punishment) so that I will seek him.

One last thing...sometimes we need to hit bottom before we will respond to God's discipline in our lives. Pain is a great wake-up call to reality. Unfortunately different people have different depths to their bottom. Sometimes it takes some people great amounts of pain before they recognize what God is trying to say to them. My prayer is that my 'bottom depth' would get real shallow and that all I would need is the occasional tap from the Spirit rather than a solid rap from the Father.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…