get your sail in the air

I heard a great metaphor last night that has been in my head ever since. I think I've even told it to like three people. Maybe you've heard this before...

Our life is like a sailboat and it is our job simply to raise the sail. Then we let the wind blow the boat wherever the wind wants to blow it. We don't try to control the wind, we just keep the sail up in the air to catch it.

The wind in this metaphor is the Holy Spirit. If we are faithful and attuned to God through his Son Jesus he will be faithful to guide us in the direction he wants for us. The problem is that too often we try and determine the direction we'll go. Sometimes we need to just sit back and let God's Spirit direct us instead of fussing and trying to do it all ourselves.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest