Skip to main content

Top Ten books on Personal Piety

I have only recently come across the blog of a guy named Joe Thorn. After seeing this picture of him on Steve McKoy's blog I had to check him out. Here is a list of books on "personal piety" that he posted on Tuesday. I haven't read any of them but I will be checking them out in the future. I share this list for any book nerds like me who may be interested.

Top Ten Books on Personal Piety
10. The Practice of the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence (Pub. 16–)
A great book to read and discuss with friends. Written by a cook who learned that true blessing is found in a life that is intentionally lived with the awareness that God is with us in whatever we do.
09. The Bruised Reed, Richard Sibbes (Pub. 1630)
Wow. For those who are hurting, weak, convicted and suffering under the weight of sin and losing assurance. Read it for yourself, and read it that you will better know how to help others.
08. Words to Winners of Souls, Horatius Bonar (Pub. 1866)
I read this little book at the recommendation of a friend during my first year in Seminary (1997). It was the most convicting and exciting thing I read that year. Ideal for those in ministry.
07. Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life, John Calvin (Pub. 1550)
Another little one that was very helpful for me touching on obedience, self-denial, patience, hope and the proper way to use and enjoy God’s temporal gifts. It doesn’t sound exciting, but it has been an important and formative book for me.
06. The Pleasantness of a Religious Life, Matthew Henry (Pub. 1741)
Will the real John Piper please stand up? Like Desiring God, only better.
05. The Christian’s Daily Walk, Henry Scudder (Pub. 16–)
A favorite read of the Puritans, this is a very practical guide to navigating everyday life with Christ at the center. Like a how-to book for the Christian life - only it’s actually good. How to start your day with God, how to conduct yourself at work, at play, when prosperous, when alone, when afflicted, etc. Small sections make this an easy read.
04. Quest for Meekness and Quietness of Spirit, Matthew Henry (Pub. 16–)
I used to say that no one writes on humility anymore, and pointed to this book as a great example of what people should read. Now C.J. Mahaney has written an excellent book on the subject, but this is till my favorite.
03. The Christian in Complete Armour, William Gurnall (Pub. 1662-1665)
The most comprehensive work on the subject of spiritual warfare. It’s a huge book, and will take a lot of time to work through it, but the payoff is worth it. I read this at a time when some of my closest friends were abandoning the faith (1994-1995) and was beginning to fear that I too would fall. This book helped me immeasurably.
02. Vital Godliness, William Plummer (Pub. 1864) This was the book God used to bring me out of a time in my life characterized by pride, and spiritual dryness. I was reading a chapter out loud to Jen on “Spiritual Darkness” and discovered myself in the pages. Plumer covers many spiritual experiences: backsliding, hope, love, humility, distress, joy, zeal, etc. I return to this book often.
01. The Life of God in the Soul of Man, Henry Scougal (Pub. 16–) Scougal died at 28, but wrote one of the most important books for the church outside of Scripture. I am dead serious. This little book challenges old and modern/postmodern notions of what it means to be a Christian by showing we are Christian not because we have the right doctrine, or the right behavior, but because the human soul has been joined to God and participates in the divine nature. One is a Christian because of what God has done, and continues to do, in the soul, and so it is his work in us that is our hope of salvation, not our own efforts. As simple as this sounds, I believe many conservative, evangelicals get it wrong. I would encourage you to get the book and read it now. I find that I need to read this once a year.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…