unresolved inner strongholds

Tim Stevens posted a line from a recent Granger message (#1 in the Dave series) that has been stinking with him. The quote from Mark Beeson was...

"Unresolved inner strongholds will destroy what matters most."

This is a powerful statement. I have learned the hard way over the past year what it means to be enslaved to something. In doing so, I have developed a much more serious perspective on how I am affected by the junk that flies under the radar of my public persona. It is clear that if the dark stuff in my life is not dealt with right away I will pay a much greater price later.

I heard a pastor talking about confession not too long ago. He was saying that Christians have gotten real good at public confession but that we have forgotten personal confession. The described it as a 16th C (?) pietist over-reaction to the abuses of confession in the Catholic church, when protest'ant' Christians made confession an act that only occurred between the individual and God.

I thought this was an interesting evaluation. I know in my own life that I am extremely poor at confessing my sins to my brothers and sisters. It is much more fun to watch The Office that it is to spend time admitting and citing concrete examples of times of when I lost my temper too quickly, wished ill towards someone else, passed on a piece of gossip, or chose to worship some cultural idol rather than Jesus.

James 5:16 (ESV) teaches us, "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

The confession of sin verbally to another brother/sister is a Biblical imperative that we cannot ignore and that I/we must grow in. It is the place where inner strongholds are defeated and where healing comes.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest