Skip to main content

Congrats to my brother Jeff and to Bethel Hockey

I am very thankful for the chance I had to play college hockey at Bethel University from 1998-2002.

One of the highlights of my career was defeating St. Thomas in the 2001 play-offs. It was one of the precious few times the Royals had beaten the Tommies. In fact, it was the only time in the last 15 years. I am proud of the fact that my class of players was part of a turning point for the program.

I think that last night's game between the two teams (Bethel won 4-3) is further evidence of the impact my group of players had, and the impact the new group of players is having at Bethel. One really cool fact is that my little brother Jeff is adding a large contribution to what the new wave of Bethel University players are doing.

Here is the game recap (courtesy of St. Thomas)...

December 1, 2006 -- Men's Hockey

Men's Hockey loses 4-3 to Bethel

The Bethel men's hockey team scored four unanswered goals and posted their first regular-season win over St. Thomas in 20 seasons with Friday's 4-3 victory over the host Tommies in Mendota Heights.

Bethel (3-4 overall, 1-0 MIAC) was 1-45 vs. the Tommies since 1987-88, including an 0-38 mark in regular-seaosn play. Five of the last six defeats were by one goal, however, including three overtime losses.

Nate Ryan scored two power-play goals for the Tommies (3-4, 1-2), who built a 2-0 lead with goals in a 51-second span midway through the first period. But the Toms didn't score again until 1:58 remaining in the game.

Dan Bonne and Steve Eastman each had a goal and an assist for the Royals, and senior goalie Dustin Thompson stopped 33 of 36 shots. Jeff Balvin also added an assist (Blog author's insertion). Bethel converted 3-of-5 power-play tries. Bonne's unassisted goal with 7:24 remaining proved to be the game winner as it staked Bethel to a 4-2 lead.

Treye Kettwick had 24 saves for the Tommies. Ryan Hoehn had a goal and Nick Pernula had two assists.

The teams play again Saturday night (7 p.m.) at Fridley's Columbia Arena.

Read the box score here.
My family and I will be at the game tonight if anyone wants to go and hook up!

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…