Skip to main content

Catalyst Podcast Featuring Rick Warren

One my way home from work tonight I pulled out the ipod and listened to the Catalyst podcast with Rick Warren. I have listened to Rick a few times and I am always impressed because he seems so down to earth and in love with God. While I was putting my kids to bed I listened to the podcast again and took some notes…

  • When I started Saddleback I had two main goals: pastor the same church for life and help other pastors
  • I think bi-vocational pastors are the real heroes in life
  • Saddleback used 79 locations in its first 13 years
  • The church building is a tool not a monument
  • I don’t consider myself a visionary I just have a lot of faith; I have ‘Polaroid vision’ and I lead primary from a set of values not from a vision
  • Build your ministry on what will not change, not on the undefined future
  • Einstein once said, “You can be brilliant but if you can’t say it in a simple way your brilliance isn’t worth much.”
  • Spent 12 hrs./day, 7 days/wk. for 7 months writing The Purpose Driven Life, worked hard to make it simple, if a sentence was 20 words I looked for a way to say it in 9 or 10
  • I believe in the stewardship or both affluence (1 Cor. 9) and influence (Psalm 72)
  • God never gives you money or fame for your own ego
  • My wife and I decided we would do 5 things based on the success of PD Life
  1. Won’t change lifestyle
  2. Stop taking a salary from Saddleback
  3. Pay back previous 25 years of salary
  4. Set up three foundations
  5. Reverse tithe (live on 10% and give away 90%)
  • The purpose of influence is to speak for those with no influence
  • There are 5 Global Giants that hurt the lives of billions
  1. Spiritual emptiness
  2. Corrupt leadership
  3. Poverty
  4. Pandemic disease
  5. Illiteracy
  • Acts 16:36 is my life verse
  • Saddleback Church is the largest Gen-X church in the country with 17,000 people under 30 yrs. Old (100+ staff members under 30)
  • The greatest tool in a pastor’s life is his wife and the primary purpose of marriage is not to make you happy but to make you holy
  • The husband/wife are to compliment each others strengths and compensate for one another’s weaknesses… too often we ignore strengths and criticize weaknesses
  • A churches size is not important, what is important is its health, the church is a living organism not an organization, a living body and not a business, and when living things are healthy they grow
  • I reject the business model of church/leadership, the pastors is the father of a family (1 Tim 3:4) and not a CEO
  • I am praying for a 2nd Reformation; the first was about creeds and the second will be about deeds, the first was about beliefs and the second will be about behaviors

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…