Parenting with a Purpose

Mark Batterson shares a good reminder when he writes,
I just know that if I let my kids grow up without any strategy or intentionality I'll regret it the rest of my life. I want to mentor and disciple my kids. I want to be as proactive as I can possibly be. Nothing is as challenging. Nothing is more important.
The tension between wanting your kids to know you love them and the need to discipline and train them for healthy functioning adulthood can be difficult. I want more than anything else for my kids to grow up knowing that Jesus and their dad delight in them. But sometimes I have to make the choice to bring unpleasantness into their world for their greater long term good.

I agree with Mark that parents need to very intentional with their kids. Haphazarded parenting is a big mistake. You don't always see the full effects of 'parenting without a purpose' when the children are young, but as they grow older they develop as products of their environments. I don't want that to be the case with my kids. I want to teach them to be people who are merciful, loving, trustworthy, kind, generous, joyous, grateful and righteous. And because these traits don't develop naturally in our fallen humanity I have to be intentionally modeling and teaching them to my kids.

But most of all I have to pray. Pray everyday that God would send his Spirit to take captive the hearts of my kids and put a big love in them for God and all that he is.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest