Choose Your Path

We face a multitude of situations everyday where we must make a decision to behave one way or another. Either we can choose to be happy, or we can choose to be upset. We can choose to focus on the positive, or we can choose to focus on the negative. We can celebrate who 'good' we've got it, or we can dwell on how 'bad' things seem to be. We can make the best of a situation, or we can wallow in despair and complaining.

It reminds me a lot of the Israelites in the book of Exodus. Rather than focusing on the good things (like how God rescued them from horrible slavery, how God was visibly present to them in a cloud by day and pillar of fire by night, and how he constantly was providing for their needs) the stiff-necked people complained about not having enough water and about God only providing them bread to eat. (Read what happened when God does give them meat, it is not a pretty ending)

Over the course of lent I am asking God to help me see my own weaknesses and to reveal to me how I am like the Israelites, choosing to complain rather than celebrate. I am asking for more patience and self-control so that I can be a more God-glorifying husband, father, friend, and employer. In the last few days it has been obvious to me that I have a long way to go. But I know that God is faithful and that he is doing a good work in me that he will bring to completion.

How about you? Are you aware of the times when you must choose which way to go? What is guiding you decision?
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest