I am always on the look-out for good advice because most days I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to raising my kids. One thing is sure though: I want them to know and love Jesus Christ. So with that in mind I bring you this...
Carey Hardy, Senior Executive Pastor at Grace Community Church, recently gave a seminar at the Shepherds' Conference on How to Raise a Pharisee, which contains a number of helpful reminders of what not to do as a parent:(HT: JT)
Read the whole thing for explanation/elaboration.
- Majoring on external instead of internal issues
- Excessive control
- Overreacting to failure
- Being unforgiving and impatient
- Elevating preference over biblical principle
- Unnecessary separatism
- Judging others…other families
- Being “belligerent”—a fighter
- No humor
- Building up their self-esteem
- Lack of genuine spirituality