Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Pursuit of Happyness

Took the family to Applebee's last night for some 1/2 off appetizers. After working a long day it was great to come home, clean up and then spend some time just hanging with my wife and kids. When we got home we tried unsuccessfully to put the kids to bed (Izzy was afraid of monsters) and so we all ended up downstairs watching the movie Stephanie selected for us, The Pursuit of Happyness. This is a great movie.

In the movie (based on a true story) Will Smith plays a man named Chris Gardner. Gardner is a hard working man determined to support and raise his son (played by Will's real life son Jadan), but he is having an extremely hard time selling a medical device that he used his life savings to buy. After his girlfriend walks out Chris is left to try and provide for himself and his son on very limited income. With the hope of future security and happiness he takes an unpaid internship at an extremely competitive stock-brokerage firm. The movie details Chris' dogged determination to achieve his goals, rise to the top of his internship class and care for the son he loves more than anything.

Stephanie and I both really liked the film
. As you watch it you can't help but have your heart break for Chris and all the terrible things that happen to him that act as obstacles to his goals. However, at the same time, you can't help but be inspired at the way he works so hard and never loses his focus or his belief in his vision of what life could be like. There is a great lesson in this film about pursuing vision and believing that nothing can hold you back from the desires that are in your heart.

It must have been a wonderfully touching experience for Will Smith to create this movie with his own son. Watching the film with my kids sleeping on my lap made me all the more thankful for the many blessings that God has bestowed on my life. I have a faithful loving wife, three amazing rambunctious kids, a warm fully furnished home, enough money for plenty of food and drink, two working cars, good friends who would do anything for me, and so much more.

The question that I need to ponder after watching this movie is: "What vision/ dream has God placed in my heart and what obstacles/ challenges do I need to overcome in pursuit of that end?"

The Pursuit of Happyness (PG-13, limited swearing)
4 of out 5 stars
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…