Skip to main content

Counseling, Fight Threats, and Car Sales

The last five days have been extremely not normal for me; since Thursday it seems like my life has been moving in fast forward and God has been stretching me all over the place.

It started with a discussion with some mentors and friends regarding the condition of, and growth in, my life and marriage. It was a beneficial time of both reflection and disclosure. Sharing the inner happenings of my mind and heart does not some naturally for me, but it is an area that I am forcing myself to grow in because I know my future depends on it.

After spending two hours discussing my junk, my wife and I met up with a friend and her husband. They are going through some very difficult times because of some very stupid choices the husband made. We did our best to share our story with them and offer what ever counsel and hope we could. Afterwards I felt like God was using that experience to show me how he is still preparing me for a life of ministry and service with others.

Then Saturday morning brought a couple phone conversations that would rock my weekend. Long story short...the fall-out of a failed financial interaction with an employee at my store resulted in a man yelling profanities at me over the phone and threatening to wait for me after work and beat me. Let me just say this, I am not a fighter. And the thought of being involved in a physical altercation with someone who is possibly psychotic didn't necessarily excite me. But God was faithful, again, and he used the situation to speak to me and draw me closer to himself. I thought a lot this weekend about Jesus teachings on non-violence, peace-making, the nature of true power, and about how my life as a Christ-follower can bring glory to God in heaven. And in the end, the guy never showed up. Nice.

I also sold my pick-up this weekend. It was sort of sad. I have been driving that truck since 2001. But the car I'm driving now gets much better gas mileage. And I was able to sell it to someone who really needed a vehicle.

Long weekend. I didn't even say anything about Father's Day. Thankfully there was no drama involved, just some good times with my family and lots of food. Tiger Woods choked, but that doesn't matter much.

I gotta sleep now. Big day tomorrow. I'll tell you more later.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…