Skip to main content

You Should Not Covet

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.” - Exodus 20:17
This commandment from Exodus is the final commandment of what are commonly known as the 10 Commandments. It is a familiar commandment. Most people in Christian circles know that to covet is wrong. But what does it really mean to covet something? And why do we hear so much about not coveting someone's wife, but so little about coveting someone's house or donkey?

According to Mr. Webster, to covet means to earnestly wish for, or inordinately desire, something that belongs to someone else. More simply, we covet when the yearning for someone else's stuff replaces contentment and joy with what is already ours. "I want yours more than mine" is the language of coveting. And Christians do it all the time.

Is this a safe place to confess? Of course not, there are millions of people reading this blog (actually the number is much closer to 13 or so). But I'll confess anyway. My struggle with coveting often revolves around desiring to have the same blessings from God that he has chosen to give prominent pastors around the country. Here's a sampling of what I covet...

- the leadership and evangelism skills of Bill Hybels
- the passionate preaching style of Steven Furtick
- the pursuit of holiness and joy in God of John Piper
- the insightful and sincere blog content of Ben Arment
- the quotable and insightful writing tone of Mark Batterson
- the depth and relevance in the teaching of Matt Chandler
- the 'outside-the-box' style in thinking and teaching of Rob Bell
- the creative and poetic tongue of Ed Young Jr.
- the humor and conviction of Mark Driscoll
- the speaking and writing skill of John Ortberg
- the cultural and futuristic thinking of Erwin McManus
- the confrontational boldness of Perry Noble and Gary Lamb

And it goes on and on. I covet the hand of God on these men's life when I inordinately wish that my life was theirs. I am blessing jealous. It is wrong. It is sinful.

The truth is that God places his hand in different measures at different times in different ways and it is not my job to lead major global initiatives like Rick Warren. It is my job to be the best Brenton Balvin I can be, and to bring God glory with the blessings he has given specifically to me.

The blessings of another person are their responsibility. I should not seek the blessing reserved for another, but instead I should develop and seek God in my life. Burning for what is not ours is sin. Whether that be another man's wife, his home, his ministry, his skill set, or his God-ordained blessing. Too often I forget what it really boils down to.
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…