Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hybels at the National Church Conference

The family headed up north to my parents cabin today. I am wandering around the house picking up the tornado-like debris left by my children and listening to Bill Hybels plenary session from the National Church Conference.

I am amazed at the fact that I never tire of listening to Bill Hybels. Much of his session I have heard in various forms before, but every time I hear it I am inspired a new. He is a man packed with wisdom, passion and experience. Really liked his stuff on the difference between a hankering and a holy discontent. Also, he nails it on the head when he says that church people need to be dead serious about their spiritual gifts and making sure that they use the ones they have and quit faking with the ones they don't have.

What inspired me most was the section of the talk where Hybels expounded on 2 Corinthians 4:18. Trusting in what is unseen is the place I find myself in a lot lately. Hybels explained that in his view, faith is walking towards what we know God has called us to, despite our fear and inhibitions, and trusting that he is going to show up along the way. There is this one idea I keep having that I am scared to go after 100% and Hybels talk made me consider all the more if God is calling me into an unknown place and waiting for me to put my foot in the water before he will act.

No comments:

 

Blog Archive