Pay Attention to Your Inner Life

George Macdonald once wrote,
Foolish is the man, and there are many such men, who would rid himself of his feelings of discomfort by setting the world right, by waging war on the evils around him, while he neglects the integral part of the world where he lies his business, his first business - namely.his own character and conduct .
Powerful words. I have been here. Running to this or that or the other "good" thing, all the while ignoring the junk that was turning over inside of me. It seems easier, I think, to heal ourselves by healing the others around us. But the attempt is futile.

I can not solve my inner pain but solving yours. I can learn something from your journey, yes, but my own character cannot be healed until I face it, expose what is dark to light, ask others to walk alongside me, and start to deal with it head on. Not an easy road. Not a glamorous one. But the only other option is stagnation, delusion, fragmentation, and sometimes even death.

It is a common axiom - putting first things first - and in matters of the soul it is foundational.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest