Submitting to the Lord's Will

Last night I was talking about some things with Stephanie and this section of James 4 came to mind,
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. (ESV)
I have a lot of requests , um, demands for the Lord. I have wishes that pertain to my employment, where I live, the type house I live in, the behavior of my kids, the size of my family, the life change I want to see in myself (and others), my future, my safety, lifestyle freedoms, etc, etc.

The problem is that I often state these things pretty arrogantly, without regard for what the Lord's will would be in each of them. I have a picture in my head of what my life should look like and darned if God has a different one. Which brings into play 1 Peter 5:5,
God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
It is critical, before we blame God when things aren't going our way, that we stop to reflect and ask ourselves, "Is God opposing me because of my pride?" Another good question to consider us, "Am I living with a submissive spirit to the will of God, or am I trying to arrogantly force my own agenda upon him?"
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest