Effective Leaders Hold Others Accountable

From time to time on Steven Furtick's blog he does a short video blog answering some leadership questions. The latest video was on 'staying fresh' and Steven talked about the importance of empowering and equipping other leaders.

As I look back on my time at A&W I can see some real upward looking trends in my ability to confront the poor performance of my employees. Not that I am great at it now, but I definitely have improved.

A big part of it for me is releasing the need to be liked and approved of by others. My tendency is to be so concerned with how others with react that I end up interpreting their immediate (and often negative) response as a rejection of me as a leader and person.

Steven had some good thoughts along the lines of confrontation with, and evaluation of, those we lead.
  • If you think you're doing someone a favor by allowing them to remain in a position they're no good at, you are just excusing your own cowardice.
  • You have to have the guts to talk about it [poor performance].
  • The opposite of love is not confrontation, the opposite of love is apathy.
  • One of my primary jobs as a leader is to give feedback to others.
One of my goals is to continue to grow more secure in who I am and who God has made me to be. Becoming increasingly free of the need to admired and affirmed all the time by others will enable me to be a much more effective leader.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest