Skip to main content

Trusting in the Goodness of the Father

Isn't it wonderful when our children teach us about Jesus? Not that it is always fun, but the Holy Spirit doesn't waste a moment if you're just willing to listen.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. - Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV)

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. - James 1:17 (ESV)
Tonight Stephanie is working so I've been home with the kids. I wanted to do something fun with them so I planned out an exciting night that consisted of...

- going downtown to see the water fountain
- getting some ice cream
- playing at the playground
- picking up ingredients for dinner and having the kids help me prepare the food (including their favorites like guacamole and deviled eggs)
- and topping the night off with strawberry and banana smoothies.

Sounds fun doesn't it? Unfortunately things didn't go as planned. Izzy and Jacob couldn't settle down and wait for me to get ready to leave so they lost the ice cream. It was raining so we couldn't go to the fountain or the playground. We got the dinner ingrediants but the kids whined about not being able to play outside so we never made the meal. Then Jacob and Izzy wandered away from the house without telling me, and Andrew wouldn't stop playing the rain puddle at the end of the driveway, so we skipped the smoothies and went straight to bed.

It makes me sad because I had all these fun things for them to do with me but they kept choosing their own ways. Ultimately, their disobedience caused them to miss out on the good gifts I had for them. And now as I write I think the lesson the Holy Spirit wants me to hear is that I am not all that different from my kids in the way I respond to God. He has a plan for my welfare, and he is the giver of good gifts, yet I persist in doing it 'my way.' In my disobedience I am sure the loving heart of the Father is pained.

Trust in God. He is gracious and compassionate. He is a benevolent, generous Father desiring to bestow wonderful things upon his children. Follow him. For he is righteous and his perfect knowledge is available for our benefit.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

When it is time to write a sermon I have found it is most effective for me to get out of the house and go to a coffee shop.  My mind is clearer and my focus is sharper there.  I am usually more productive.

The increase in output may be because, as pastor and author Mark Batterson often says, "change of place + change of pace = change in perspective."  However, I think something else is influencing me.  When I am out of my house I am not distracted by messes, dishes, house chores, or clutter; my mind is completely free to focus on the task I want to accomplish.

 In addition to Batterson's creativity axiom, here are a couple little formulas that I've found hold true for me:

Cleanliness = Creativity and Calmness.
Organized home = Organized mind.

Simply put, I function best when my environment feels under control.  This feeling of control comes in many different forms.  I feel like things are under control when my surroundings are clean and organized.  I feel like thin…