Ultimatums are Lies

My three year old daughter is the Queen of Unkind Ultimatums.

Here is just a sampling of the things that come out of here mouth...
- If you don't __________ I won't play with you anymore.
- Give me __________ or you can't come to my birthday party.
- If you ___________ I'll be your best friend.
- Fine, then you're not my friend anymore.
Today I was reading my Bible I happened to hear one of Izzy's 'deals' and it made me wonder how many Christians think of God as the God of Spiritual Ultimatums. I think that when we start thinking of God in terms of a divine ultimatum maker, we are believing a lie of Satan. Here are a few that I've fought in my own mind. I'm sure you have your own.
- If I don't give enough offering I won't be blessed by God.
- If I don't stop ________ God is going to punish me .
- God won't heal me because I don't have enough faith or I am not righteous enough.
- If I don't read my Bible everyday Jesus won't be near to me.
- Jesus will only answer my prayers if I _____________.
We really have to fight these lies with the truth of Scripture. We need to memorize and hold tight to verses like,
* There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
* For [our earthly fathers] disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but [God] disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. (Hebrews 12:10)
* Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. (2 Cor 1:9-10)
* The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, (Ex 34:6)
* For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit (1 Peter 3:18)
* For the death [Jesus] died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. (Romans 6:10)
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest