Skip to main content

Book Review: For Young Men Only

The latest book in the series For ____ Only (For Women Only, For Men Only) is Jeff Feldhahn and Eric Rice's book, For Young Men Only. I was sent an advance copy to do a review of the book on this very blog. So, here goes.

Style of the Book
I enjoyed reading FYMO. It was a very quick read geared towards the younger, teenage reader. The language in the book is consistent with the language that teenage kids are speaking without being cheesy. The illustrations were relevant and fit the current culture. I think the young men who read this book will connect with the content and enjoy the style.

Purpose of the Book
If you are reading this book looking for in-your-face Christian theology and pastoral content, stop reading because you will not find that in FYMO. Feldhahn and Rice acknowledge this from the outset on pg. 10, "There are many great books out there that pull together good biblical guidelines for dating, for example, but that isn't what we are doing here." However, if you are looking for some practical information on what young women think and are looking for in young men, FYMO has a wealth of tips for you.

If the goal of FYMO is not for developing a 'theology of dating', what is its purpose? The answer to this question is found in the preface. FYMO strives to, and I believes succeeds in its attempt to, 'deliver an eyeopening books that draws on solid research to help teen guys understand and honor the unique way girls are wired' which will 'help your teen enjoy dramatically healthier and happier relationships in the future.' In short, FYMO will help dudes understand chicks and have better relationships (dating or not) with them.

Content of the Book
FYMO explores 6 different themes guys that guys usually are clueless about when it comes to girls. These themes are:

1. Why do girls pick the fancy boys over the average ones?
2. Why are good girls attracted to bad guys?
3. Why do girls seem so crazy sometimes?
4. Why do girls like you one day, and then want to break up the next?
5. What can guys do to better listen to girls?
6. What go girls really think about sex?

I wish I would have had this book when I remember back a few years to my high school days. These are questions my friends and I were asking (in one way or another) and questions that I am sure the teenage boys of today are wondering. FYMO does a great job of interweaving survey data, real life anecdotes for the girls they interviewed, and practical advice in each section. There is no arguing with the facts that many guys are completely ignorant of what girls really are feeling, thinking and looking for in a boy.

Final Thoughts
I would recommend FYMO to multiple audiences. First, I think it is a good, quick little read for parents (especially fathers) of pre-teen and teenage boys. With the right use of the information in this book parents can teach and shape their young sons into real men who know how to treat girls in an honoring way. Second, teenage boys themselves can benefit from reading this book. There are lots of answers in the book to questions that young guys and girls are afraid to discuss with one another. And thirdly, I think those people who have given themselves to working with teenagers will benefit from this book as they guide young people through some of the most hormonal and future shaping years of their lives.

You can find out more from FYMO by visiting the website: www.foryoungmenonly.com.

You can purchase FYMO at any of the following websites:
Random House

Amazon
Christian Book
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…