Father's Approval Needed for Daughter's Clothing

I started working on an article today based on Paul's words to Timothy in 1 Timothy 2:9 regarding how women should dress. I came across this incredible word to fathers on C.J. Mahaney's blog.
Dads, I want to urge you to take responsibility for your daughters’ dress. Fathers are absolutely essential to the cultivation of modesty. When a young lady dresses immodestly, it usually means her father has failed to lead, care for and protect her. Without a father’s care and protection, she may be daily exposed to the lustful minds of men.

My three daughters are grown and married now, but from an early age I sought to impress upon them the importance of modesty. Before an article of clothing became a permanent part of their wardrobe my girls had to get my approval. This wasn’t always easy—for them or for me. Modest clothing is hard to find. Sometimes, they’d arrive home after an all day shopping trip only to hear me say: “That’s not gonna, work, my love. I’m so sorry, but exhaustion from shopping doesn’t excuse immodesty. We’re not going to compromise.”
I am a strong believer in the crucial role that father's play in the lives of their daughters. This word from C.J. is a great reminder that it is not a father's job to be 'cool' but to teach and instruct and protect his daughter. If a man loves his daughter deeply, then she will not need to go looking for that love in the often misusing arms of some hormone charged teenage guy.
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest