Strengthened in the Hand of God

I was talking with a friend this morning at Caribou. A couple weeks ago we decided to start meeting every Thursday morning to confess sin, share insights, talk about Scripture and pray for one another. Today I shared a verse I came across earlier in the week from 1 Samuel that I think captures the heart of what we are trying to do.
1 Samuel 23:15-16, "David saw that Saul had come out to seek his life. David was in the wilderness of Ziph at Horesh. 16 And Jonathan, Saul's son, rose and went to David at Horesh, and strengthened his hand in God."
Jonathon and David were close friends. Jonathon's father, King Saul, had been pursuing the king-to-be David from town to town and all around the wilderness. I am sure that David was exhausted from running for his life. I imagine David sitting in cold, dark caves at night wondering if God had failed to keep his promise. Doubt must have been creeping into David's mind as to whether or not he had given his life to the right thing. And then his friend Jonathon comes.

That's the beauty of a friend. They can bring you up from the dumps. And the beauty of a Christian friend is that they bring you up from spiritual dumps. Jonathon strengthened David's hand in God. I take that to mean that he encouraged David, gave him a renewed spiritual perspcetive on things. The weight on David's shoulders was lifted and the tiredness of his hands' striving was strengthened by the encouragement and prayers of his friend Jonathon.

So, whose hands can you strengthen in the Lord today?

Brenton
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest