Monday, May 11, 2009

Book Review: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

The book Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala has been on the shelf of my bookcase for over 6 years. I have picked it up and started it numerous times in the past but I could never get into it. Until now.

The book details the beginnings of Brooklyn Tabernacle in NYC, a congregation of 10,000 which begin many years ago with just a handful of fervent prayer warriors. By interweaving stories from his church and examples from the Scriptures Cymbala exhorts Christians to 'call upon the name of the Lord.'

I finally read the whole book this week and was convicted by the lack of prayer in my life. In Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire Cymbala is adamant about the fact that real ministry doesn't happen except for on the strength of the Holy Spirit through prayer.

Here are a couple quotes that reasonated with me:
God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly adit how desperately they need him. Our weakness, in fact, makes room for his power.

God still uses foolish tools in the hands of weak people to build his kingdom. Backed by prayer and his power, we can accomplish the unthinkable.
Post a Comment