Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Refreshment for a Wilting Spirit

When I got back to Northfield yesterday after spending a night at my mom's I saw that my lovely red petunia hanging basket was wilting and looking pretty weak. I gave it two large drinks of water and after a cool night passed I went out to check on it this morning. The diagnosis - looking bright and vibrant again. It just needed a long refreshing drink.

I had a thought as I sat on the steps drinking my french vanilla flavored coffee. It occurred to me that many Christian peoples' spirits are reflected in the behaviors of my petunia plant. Over time, due to the neglect that busyness and/or sin can cause, the spirit of a Christ follower begins to wilt. If ignored long enough greater problems than wilting can occur. Ultimately the spirit will begin to shrivel and dry up into death. However, a long refreshing drink of Christ can do for the spirit what water did for botanical life in my hanging basket.

Jesus had some things to say about this kind of water.
John4:10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”...13 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. [2] The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

John 7:37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as [6] the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.


What is the condition of your spirit? Is it wilting and weak, or is bright and vibrant? If you are weak make some time to get alone with Christ, to read his word, to offer yourself in prayer, and to be made strong again. Drink the water of the Holy Spirit and be refreshed.
Post a Comment