Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Alone in the Car, Sort of...

Yesterday I took my boys with me to Menard's. I left them in the car while I ran in to return an item. When I was done with the return I came back out, and as I was getting in the car and ready to pull away a police car stopped in front of me. The officer asked me to get out of the car and informed me that a bystander had called the police and told them there were kids left in a running car, unattended for 15 minutes.

I explained everything to the officer. I doubted that it had been fifteen minutes (5-10 is my estimate). I had left the windows down halfway and there was a cool breeze in the air. It was not hot. The kids were in their seats in the back of the car buckled in, and I had visual contact with them the entire time I was in the building.

The police officer understood, took down my statement, and told me he would need to file a report. Then he let me and the boys go. I guess I ultimately appreciate the concern of the stranger who made the call, but it didn't make the unpleasant morning I was having any better!
Post a Comment