James Madison on the Freedom of Religion

My neighbor gave me a book to read (American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers and the Making of a Nation) and I came across this quote in the introduction from James Madison on the freedom of religion:
"Whilst we assert for ourselves a freedom to embrace, to profess and observe the religion which we believe to be of divine origin, we cannot deny an equal freedom to those whose minds have not yet yielded to the evidence which has convinced us."
The same freedom that allows me to go to church and worship Jesus Christ must be given to the Muslim who wishes to praise Allah. This quote reminds me that my job has never been to force people to believe in Christ. That, in fact, is impossible.

No one forced to faith stands in it; rather, people are won to faith through the courageous, consistent witness and conduct of Christ followers, reliant above all else on the heart opening grace work of the Spirit of God.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest