Seeking the Approval of Man v. God

I am a person driven by accomplishment, success, and recognition. There are positives in a personality like this. I will take on challenges, I will drive to win, and I am not afraid to be a part of 'big' things. However, there are also downfalls. I don't try new things (I could lose), I always don't celebrate the accomplishments of others, and I build my value as a person on the praise of others. All of which creates quite a roller coaster ride of emotion surrounding my work, leadership and life.
One Scripture text that I consistently come back to for grounding and refreshing is Galatians 1:10.
10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.
I have to remember there is only ONE person whose opinion of me counts. That person is Jesus Christ. he is one who lived, suffered, and died for me. He is the one who judges my soul and marks me for eternity. He is the one who holds me in hard times, blesses me, and celebrates me joys.

Yes, of course I want to bring happiness to my wife, family and friends who cheer me on in life, because in this world their feelings matter. But none of them puts breathe in my lungs of life in my spirit. His alone is the approval I must seek.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest