- Learn the organization: the culture, the values, the processes, the politics, the people.
- Be patient and do not exceed the speed limit, but do not move to slowly.
- Prioritize your to-do and to-know list.
- Construct a strategic plan to include a clear vision and communicate it frequently.
- Build a healthy team to include both current team members and those possibly outside the organization.
- Establish what needs to happen right now that is foundational for future construction.
- Secure early wins to generate momentum and establish credibility.
- Build alliances with other team members who can help be a voice for your plan.
- Enter with sustained humility.
- Add value to what other team members are currently doing.
Friday, March 12, 2010
10 Steps for a Smooth Job Transition
Jason Young is a leader who I got to know last year at the STORY conference. He's a great guy with unbridled passion and enthusiasm for life. He recently blogged 10 lessons he's learned on how to make a smooth transition into a new job. There's some great stuff for me to think about here as I start my new role with Target.