Building a Foundation to Suffer Well

I am continually on the look out for resources that will help me prepare and build a foundation for the inevitable sufferings that I shall be faced with at some point during my life. Here is an excerpt from a recent blog post by John Piper,

Why do little children suffer and die? We ask it with the awareness that it is happening this very moment by the hundreds, and we ask it through tears of personal experience and empathy. Here is one biblical answer: "Just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—" (Romans 5:12).

Death came into the world through sin.

That is the fundamental biblical answer for where all suffering and death came from. Or to use the words of Romans 8:20, "The creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope."

In other words, because of sin, God subjected the entire creation to the futility of mortality with all its suffering and death. The whole creation groans under the judgment.

When I suffer I don't want to look heavenward, shake my fist at my all-loving divine Father, and cast curses and blame on him. I want to praise his name that I am counted worthy to be called his child despite my iniquity and animosity towards righteousness. And I want to call on His graces for mercy, comfort and help that I may persevere for His glory.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest