Respond, Don't React

My wife has a great saying that uses when she can tell I'm about to 'freak out' on my kids behavior. She calmly says, "Respond don't react." By this she means, "Address the wrong behavior in an appropriate way. Don't let your emotions ruin a teachable moment."
- Reacting rarely leads to a successful parent/child encounter where lessons are learned and everyone feels loved.

- Responding addresses the problem rationally, taking into account all relevant information, and communicates expected behavior going forward with clarity and compassion.
Remember, the primary goal of parenting is to teach your children what their heavenly Father is like, and to raise them to be responsible, respectful adults.

And when you blow it...because we ALL DO...admit it to your children, and ask for their forgiveness. It goes a long way.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest