Jesus told his disciples, "Whoever would come after me must deny his own desires daily, trade them in for my desires, and follow my example." (Matthew 16:24, my paraphrase)
I've heard that verse many times, but last night I heard it fresh again. To follow Jesus I have to deny myself. I have to let go of all the things I want, and start, ground zero, with his desires. I have to put into practice what I know the Bible teaches me to do, and stop making excuses for or ignoring the sin issues in my heart.
What are my desires?
- to be liked, even adored
- to have a life of ease
- to get my own way
- to enjoy success without hard work
- to have a perfect family
- to buy more and more of this and that
- to spend my money on things that make my life look better in other's eyes
- to have what others have (money, body, brain, talents)
- that everyone else would be more like me
And that's just the blog-able junk I desire. Jesus help me let it go!