Saturday, April 10, 2010

Therapy through Golf

Had a good time golfing yesterday with my brother Aaron. Not only was it fun to be outside enjoying the beautiful day, but I was reminded again of how therapeutic golfing is for me. When I'm playing with the right people, golfing can be a time for opening up and sharing and talking through issues that I don't have other space in my life to talk through. It is real 'guy-time', and golfing with the right guy, as expensive as golf can be, is a lot cheaper than therapy in the long run!

It is possible to take moments of ordinary pleasure and capitalize on them for soul health. But it's not always easy. It takes planning and some sacrifice, and both Aaron and I expressed sadness in the fact that were not intentional about getting together more often.

This morning I was reading an article in Wired magazine about decision-making and behavioral change and the author commented, "We have all the information we need. What we need are incentives." That made me think.

What is my incentive to spend time with a brother/friend talking about life, instead of ignoring the hard stuff for trivial smiles?

- deeper joy
- being accepted
- better health
- forgiveness
- the releasing freedom of confession
- the presence of Jesus

Next question, do these incentive motivate me to act? Do they motivate you to change your behavior? Shockingly to me self, I have to admit that they don't always. But I desire them to. Do you?
Post a Comment