What is the Purpose of Church in Your Mind?

Today our pastor preached about the purpose of going to church. He created an acronym CHURCH that he used to helped the congregation understand. He said the purpose of church was for people to, confess and heal (CH), manifest ultimate reality (UR), and celebrate hope (CH). I've heard a few sermons on the purpose of church and I've read a book on the subject (Purpose Driven Church), but I'm curious what you think.

The older I get the more I hear of people who 'do' church for their kids, yet church has no real impact on the rest of their lives. The irony is that the children who are forced to attend church as kids pretty quickly decide that since church doesn't mean much to Dad and Mom it doesn't need to mean much to them either . . . and so they justifiably quite the whole deal.

The whole 'go-to-church-because-that's-what-you-probably-should-do' is a pretty dumb idea. I mean, let's be real here, church as a hobby is a pretty lame hobby. I can think of lots of things to do that are more fun than going to just just because you have to.

In an upcoming post I'll reveal what I think is the purpose of church, but I'd love to hear from you in the meantime.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest