Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

Stephanie's class is reading Harper Lee's literary masterpiece To Kill a Mockingbird. Whenever her class reads a book I usually read it too. I hadn't read To Kill a Mockingbird in a long time and all I could remember was the name Boo Radley. As soon as I started reading I was absolutely hooked. I read the whole thing in less than three days; I literally couldn't put it down.

Lee's use of dialog in the book is spectacular. She did such an amazing job of creating characters who say things like 'ain't, yess'm, and sehr' in ways that come across as authentic and alive. The characters in the book come alive and I felt like I was watching a movie as I flipped through the pages of the book. I couldn't get over the way Lee's writing makes the pages of the book come alive in the imagination, without over stimulating and giving unnecessary or boring details. I was never bored with one page, and extremely rarely with even one paragraph.

I was also drawn in by Lee's ability to write about such emotional moral and ethical behavior. The story illustrates deeply held beliefs about racism, sexism, religion, and societal tendencies. Lee is able to walk the reader through deep water by telling the story of a child walking through some tough, complex circumstances. The characters of To Kill a Mockingbird all represent a way of living and thinking.

I doubt it if To Kill a Mockingbird meant as much to me when I first read it as it does now. I loved the book and will definitely be reading it again in a few years.
3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest