Skip to main content

The Danger of Walking in Darkness

Have ever stubbed your toe trying to walk in the dark?  I have done that so many times!  In fact, not too long ago I was lying in bed and I couldn’t remember if I had turned off all the lights downstairs and locked all the doors.  Have you ever done that?  I couldn’t get it out of my head so I got out of bed, and because the kids had just gone to sleep, I decided I’d just try and sneak quietly down the steps in the dark.  As I started going down the hallway all of a sudden, BAAM, I crashed into a pile of toys that were sitting in the hallway.  Honestly, I thought my heart was going to explode from the scare of the crash and from the scare of almost falling down the stairs!  Then I wondered if my wife had planted the toys to try and kill me!

Seriously though, walking in the dark is a dangerous thing to do because you can’t see the things that are trying, intentionally or not, to hurt you.  When I was 10 years old one of my responsibilities at home was to take out the garbage everyday after school.  It was a simple job but there were many times sports or TV or something else distracted me and I would forget.  One day during the wintertime my Dad came home from work and saw that I had once again not taken out the garbage.  I think he had a bad day at work because he was pretty tense and he told my brother and I that we had to get up and take the garbage out IMMEDIATELY!  

Well what you need to know about this situation is the place we brought the garbage to was way across the driveway of our farmland and behind a big metal shed.  And because it was winter it was already dark outside, especially by the garbage cans area which at underneath this wooden overhang.  My brother and I were terrified something was back there waiting to get us, and so we crept out of the house very slowly, huddled close together, and finalizing the plan of how we would just open the can lids, throw the bags inside and run back to the house.  We walked through the dark, and just as we came around the corner of the shed, a shadow jumped out of the darkness and yelled, BOOOO HAAAA HAAA HAAAA!  My brother took off running and I grabbed the garbage can lid to defend myself.  

The shadow turned out to be my dad who thought it would be funny to scare us!  To this day I am pretty proud of my self for choosing to stay and fight, while my brother ran away screaming, “I hate you Dad!”  But the point is this - darkness is scary and it isn’t a good place to be.  Like my mom always used to say, “Nothing good happens in the dark.”  And spiritual speaking that is absolutely correct.  

The Bible teaches us there is an enemy of God named Satan, and Satan leads a band of evil spirits who roam around like lions looking for was to steal, kill and destroy the lives of God’s people.  Ephesians 6:12 says, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.”  

It is the lies of Satan and his team of spirits and demons who call us down the wide, easy road.  These guys are excited by our destruction and they encourage it in ever way possible.  The Bible describes Satan as the Prince of Darkness, and Satan loves to trick people into thinking they know better than God how to lead their lives.  

Don't let them take you down.  Stand on the Word of Jesus, the Light of the World, and live in that light.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…