Skip to main content

I Am Suffering. Are You?

I've been thinking about suffering today.

At church this morning I was told that some close friends of Stephanie and I recently experienced the unthinkable tragedy of delivering a full-term baby who had no heart beat.  I cannot even begin to imagine how horrific this is for them.  My heart and prayers go out to them in this time of loss, pain, and suffering.

Sadly, my friends are not the only people close to me going through a time of suffering.  Others experiencing suffering include:
- a friend fighting brain cancer
- a friend worried about high blood pressure
- a brother who has been sick for days
- a sister who longs for a fiance in another country
- my parents who endure being apart while my dad trucks over the road
- my wife and I dealing with my unemployment
- a family at church with child issues
As much as we would like to avoid suffering, it is something which is very real in everyone's life.  If you are not suffering right now then praise God and build a solid faith foundation for when your time of suffering comes.

Suffering can feel crippling but it needn't be for Christians.  We serve a God who is BIGGER than our suffering and who is ABLE to sustain us, heal us, and renew our hope.

For those of you suffering right now, dwell on 1 Peter 5:10 and let it sink deep into your spirit as you push through your pain.
And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
Right now it hurts.  Right now you have so many questions, so many doubts.  Right now it doesn't seem fair.  You feel alone.  You feel forgotten.  You feel sadness.  But your God is not far from you.  In his time he will restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  Hope in the promise of his word and wait on him.

We will wait together.  All of us suffering together.
3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…