Friday, April 22, 2011

Cheap Sin Wastes the Hard Work of Holiness

A couple weeks ago I was disgusted by the scale in my bathroom and I decided it was time to do something about it.  I rejoined the local YMCA and have started lifting and running 3-4 times a week.  Another thing I did was instituted a 'no eat after 8pm' rule.  I'm not sure how much that is helping but it does limit the amount of worthless calories I consume each day.

Speaking of calories, one part of my program that is really cool is the My Fitness Pal app I downloaded to my phone.  The app lets me track all kinds of health data including calories, exercise, and water consumption.  I also have a personal page on the My Fitness Pal website.  If you're trying to lose weight I recommend checking it out.

I've noticed something else during my weight lose journey.  When I am working hard to eat healthy and exercise and track calories my desire for worthless calories goes way down.  I think how much work it will take to burn off a candy bar or mayonnaise on my sandwich and I don't even want to eat it.

I think there is a strong correlation here to my spiritual life.  The closer I am to Christ the less desirable sin is.  Taking a moment to consider how stupid it would be to give in to temptation makes the appeal of sinful behavior disappear.  It reminds of the song 'Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.'
Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of his glory and grace.
Post a Comment