God's Word is Alive and Active



I was at Caribou yesterday morning dwelling on a few things that were bothering me and I opened up my Bible to read what God's Word might have to say about my situation.  When I did this I learned something very important  There is a remarkable power in the Bible to speak into the issues of your heart and reveal the foolishness of your thoughts.    Hebrews 4:12 says that the "Word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."

Boy did I experience the truth of this text yesterday.  Reading God's Word forced me into a corner and left me with only two options: 1) Live and behave God's way, 2) Disbelieve / disobey and keep doing things my own way.  The truth of God's Word is so clear and penetrating.  When I sit in my own little thoughts I think I have answers, but when I open up the Bible the Holy Spirit is given access to my heart and mind and he does his convicting and liberating work.  It is convicting because I see my faults, failures and errors; it is also liberating because I don't have to try and figure things out on my own when God's truth is right before my eyes.

What I'm left with is the challenge to "Go and do!"  The Apostle James writes about the tendency people have to read God's Word and then forget it when they close the book (James 1:23).  The Bible can be like that.  We open it up, read it, and are convicted by its truths, so we close it and act like we never read anything.  This is a dangerous game.  The Word of God is not like any other book.  We mustn't read it and forget it.  We have to read it, allow it to shape us and dwell in us.  And we have to practice what the Spirit is leading us into so that a new paradigm for living takes root in our hearts and our actions.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest