Skip to main content

Are You Robbing God?

*more info cut from the sermon I'm writing for Jan 15


Imagine with me that you invested some of your money with an investment company hoping for a gainful return and after a few months you found out that the broker you were dealing with took your both your invest and your earnings and started using them like they were his own.  Instead of putting it in high performing stocks, he was using the money for betting on the Vikings (which of course was like giving it away), eating at Manny’s Steakhouse and all kinds of other self-serving pleasures.  

Wouldn’t you be indignant?  Wouldn’t you say, “I need a lawyer.  I’ve been duped.  I trusted that guy to be wise with the resources I gave him, and he’s squandering it all.  I’m getting robbed!”  Wouldn’t you say that?  

That, in fact, is what God says about you and I.  In Malachi 3:8-9 the Lords says through the prophet Malachi, “Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you.”

Tim Keller points out that the word ‘rob’ in this text isn’t just like taking candy from the Kwik Trip.  This word ‘rob’ is used to describe what would happen when one nation would invade, pillage, oppress and rape the people and resources of another nation.  And in this text God speaks through Malachi with the message saying, “I gave you so much and I trusted you to be generous and get a good return on my investment.  And instead you’ve invaded and pillaged me!  You stolen what doesn’t belong to you and used it all for yourself”

Most of you probably don’t think Malachi is talking to you this morning.  Like the nation of Israel you’re probably thinking, “Me?  How do I rob God?  I’m middle class Monticello?  I only have two cars, two game systems, and two bathrooms in my house.”

Well here’s the insidious thing about generosity’s evil brother greed - almost no one thinks they are greedy.  It is the the sin no one confesses, because it is the sin know one thinks they’re guilty of.  People know what lust is.  They know what pride is.  They know what gossip is.  They know what adultery is.  But very, very few people would ever say, “Greediness is my biggest sin.”  And do you know why?  Because we can always find someone around us who has more than us and we can say, “Look at them.  They’re greedy.  My boat - its only 14 feet, that guy’s is 20 ft.  He’s the greedy one.  Look at that lady - so what if I have 10 pairs of shoes - she’s got a whole closet full.  Man she is really greedy.”  

We get so caught up in our own little “thingdom” that we neglect being generous to God’s “kingdom.”  King David spoke to the assembly of all the nations greatest leaders - the richest, most powerful men in the land - and he reminded them - “ITS NOT YOURS!  IT WAS GIVEN TO YOU BY GOD.  IT IS FROM GOD AND IT IS FOR GOD.”  

And this morning I stand in a room with some of the richest men and women in the entire world.  Did you know the average American, according to Pastor David Platt, lives on $90/day while, by conservative estimates, 75% of the rest of the world lives in less than a $1?  That makes you and I some of the richest, most powerful people in the world, and we are reminded today in God’s Word “It is not yours.  You own nothing, and you manage everything.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…