Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why I Took Jacob to the Cemetery Today

Today Jacob stayed home from school.  He probably should have stayed home yesterday, but I made him attend class.  Deciding when your child is sick enough to merit missing school isn't always a clear choice, but that is besides the point of this post.

I don't get alone time with just one of my kids too often, and I wanted to maximize the time I had with Jacob to do a little spiritual investing, so after stopping at the bank I drove out to a cemetery on the edge of town.

Naturally, Jacob was immediately curious why we were there.  I have a great Bible app on my phone (You Version) and so I pulled out my phone and had Jacob read a few verses out loud.  Then I made some discussion about what the verses said and what they meant.

These are the verses we talked about,
...but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, (1 Peter 1:15 ESV)

...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23 ESV)

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23 ESV)

There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. (1 Corinthians 15:40 ESV)
I pray that our time together will be eternally profitable. We talked about the fact that God is perfect and that we are not.  We talked about what sin is and gave examples of the way both of us have sinned.  Then we talked about the fact that even though people's bodies were in the ground under the grave stones, their spirit's were living in new bodies - either in heaven with God or in hell without him.  We ended talking about how we don't have to be afraid of sickness or death in our earthly body because someday Jesus is going to give us a new body that will never get sick, sad, or experience death again.
Post a Comment