Book Review: The Hunger Games

For the last 6 days I have been obsessed with reading The Hunger Games trilogy.  Just about every extra second I've had has been devoted to following the story of Katniss and Peeta and their battle for survival.

Stephanie brought the first book home last Monday and I couldn't put the book down once I started reading it.  The book has that fantastic quality where every chapter ends with a sentence that compels you to read the next one.  Many times I found myself saying, "Just one more chapter...." and before I knew it another 30 minutes had gone by.

There is so much information out there about the books that I won't try and summarize the contents here.  However, I'll share a few things about the books.  The content is occasionally violent and graphic at times describing things that could scare younger readers.  There is no sexually provocative material in the book, however, there are moments describes an embrace or a kiss that do begin to describe some of the sexual yearning teenagers feel.  There is also a very string female empowerment theme interwoven in the story; the star character is a 16 year old girl and there are many other women in powerful positions.  I'm not saying it is wrong, just putting it out there as this may turn off younger male readers.

The imagery in the book is spectacular and the author does an amazing job of describing all types of terrain, weapons, cities, fashions, and spectacular creatures.  I was impressed with the depth in the character in Katniss, the main figure of the story, who works through an overwhelming number of emotional and physical issues over the course of 1000 pages.  And while some of the twists and turns in the story are a bit fantastical, the overall story line is compelling and convincing.

I'm a bit sad the story of The Hunger Games is over.  My wife and kids, however, are glad to have their husband and father back.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest