Skip to main content

Jacob the Evangelist

On Saturday Jacob came home from a friend's house with a big announcement.  He had a big smile on his face and he was so happy as he told Stephanie and I his news.  "Jim is a Christian now!"*  

Here's the back story.

Jim has been Jacob's friend since we moved to Northfield in 2007.  Jim and his family don't go to church, and Jim has only come to kids Wednesday night church with Jacob once or twice.  We've spent a lot of time taking with Jacob about how Jim's family has different values than ours.  Its been hard because he likes Jim a lot, but Stephanie and I have had some concerns about the amount of leeway Jim's parent's have regarding what Jim watches and the games he plays.  We've haven't sheltered Jacob, but we've had to set some boundaries and remind Jacob of the values we have the expectations and desire Jesus has for Jacob.

Last weekend Jacob invited Jim to come to church with us.  I was preaching at the local Moravian church that Sunday and Jacob was excited to have Jim come and see his dad preach.  It was funny, and a bit embarrassing, because Jacob kept telling people at the church about how Jim wasn't a Christian and had never been to church.  Apparently Jim wasn't too embarrassed because he told Jacob that he liked church and wanted to come again.

Later in the week Jacob told us that Jim wanted to be a Christian.  Stephanie heard Jacob upstairs in his room telling Jim about Jesus and some of the 10 Commandments.  He even showed Jim his children's Bible.  Then he asked if Jim could eat lunch at our house, and he told us we needed to pray for lunch because Jim wanted to be a Christian and wanted to pray ever day.  At lunch Jim was showing us the sign language he was learning at school and then Jacob showed him how to do the sign of the cross after a prayer (apparently this is the sign language Jacob has learned at his Catholic school).  

Jacob had told us earlier in the week that Jim wanted to be a Christian but that his dad said he couldn't be one.  Jim said his dad didn't believe in God and that his dad told him people came from monkeys and the earth got started by a big rock crashing into it.  Jacob said that was weird and the conversation moved on, but the exchange was a bit of a wake-up call to Stephanie and I that our kids' friends have a different worldview and we need to be all the more diligent in raising our kids with a firm faith foundation.

I guess something changed because when Jacob came home today he said that Jim was now a Christian.  I am skeptical of how authentic the conversion is, and I wonder how much of it Jim really grasps, but I am so excited that my 8 year old son loves his friend and genuinely desires to see his friends become Christians.  I pray God would continue to give Jacob a heart for his friends, and that the Lord Jesus would guide me to give my children the knowledge and tools they need to confidently share the Gospel with their friends.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

When it is time to write a sermon I have found it is most effective for me to get out of the house and go to a coffee shop.  My mind is clearer and my focus is sharper there.  I am usually more productive.

The increase in output may be because, as pastor and author Mark Batterson often says, "change of place + change of pace = change in perspective."  However, I think something else is influencing me.  When I am out of my house I am not distracted by messes, dishes, house chores, or clutter; my mind is completely free to focus on the task I want to accomplish.

 In addition to Batterson's creativity axiom, here are a couple little formulas that I've found hold true for me:

Cleanliness = Creativity and Calmness.
Organized home = Organized mind.

Simply put, I function best when my environment feels under control.  This feeling of control comes in many different forms.  I feel like things are under control when my surroundings are clean and organized.  I feel like thin…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…