Character is Made in the Most Mundane Choices

Integrity.  Trust.  Character.

Little words that take a long time to define a person, and require only an instant to be destroyed.

We all face many situations everyday that have the power to reinforce an attitude of integrity and a life of trustworthiness, or to ruin it.

A place I once worked had a saying, "Integrity is what you do when no one is looking."  I didn't always believe that.  I used to think that when no one was looking was when I could do what I wanted.

If no one sees, then no one gets hurt right?  Wrong.

If no human sees, God always sees.  Plus, every choice you make, seen or unseen, solidifies your character a little more.  In each decision you become more, or less, a person of integrity and trustworthiness.

I was at work stocking Easter candy yesterday and I found many bags that had been ripped open.  With each bag found I was tempted to pull out a jelly bean or two as a little snack.  A kind of reward for the hard work I was doing.  No one would know, and besides, the candy was going to get thrown away anyways.

But that kind of stinkin' thinkin' has got me into trouble many times before.  I was tempted but I didn't bite the devil's fruit.  And at the end of the day I was happy about that.

Work hard to make the right kind of choice today, so you can be the right kind of person tomorrow.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest