Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quit Playing the Blame Game

You can always blame someone else for your faults, failures, and foo bars.  Or you can be honest about it, learn from it, and move on.

I'm discovering through the wise insight (and tough love) of someone close to me that I am pretty good at playing the blame game.  In my mind things that haven't gone my way in life are almost entirely because of other people.  Coaches who didn't play me enough, teachers who didn't make learning interesting, bosses and companies with no leadership or stupid rules, financial trouble because of how other people spend money.  My actions were because my needs weren't being met.

So.  I.  Would.  Quit.

I'm going to strive to get rid of that kind of attitude.  The Apostle Paul said when he was a child he thought like a child, but when he became a man he put away childish things.  Blaming others and quitting because I don't get my way is childish.

So it's time to bite the bullet.  Time to look in the mirror.  It's time to own it as I'm shown it.  And it's time to move forward.

Wallowing in shame and blame is lame.

There is always a lesson to be learned.  There is always something I could have said or done differently.  It's likely I didn't have an accurate view of the bigger picture, or a distorted understanding of my own skills and abilities.  And if I want to grow as a man I have to push through the difficult situations to see what greater thing is on the other side.  Nothing good ever came from quitting.  You've got to pursue good.

So I'm off to pursue.
Post a Comment