Skip to main content

Book Review: Our Favorite Sins

In Our Favorite Sins Todd Hunter has written a helpful book on effectively dealing with temptation.  So many people talk about defeating temptation by changing behaviors, avoiding certain situations, or giving it a white knuckle, college try.  None of these methods are effective for lasting victory over sin.  The reason, as Hunter stresses over and over in the book, is not behavioral change but heart/desire change.

Our behaviors flow out of our desires.  Giving in to temptation is a sign that a disordered desire has a primary place in our hearts.  Victory of sin and temptation will not come until we have replaced disordered desire with divine desire, until we want Jesus Christ and his Kingdom more than we want anything in this temporal, sin-laced kingdom.

Hunter breaks up his book into 2 main parts.  The majority of the book discusses the idea of disordered desire and the role it places is our battle against temptation.  In the second part of the book he looks at ancient practices (spiritual discipline) as a means to re-ordering desires and bringing them into alignment with Christ.  Hunter draws here on his experience as a Bishop in the Anglican church, as refers to Anglican practices like the sacraments, fasting, following a lectionary, and praying a liturgy.  The second section of the book was not as helpful or interesting to me because of my background, denominational ties, and previous familiarity with spiritual practices but it may be very helpful to someone who is looking to get more meaning and benefit from a particular church association.

At one point I was worried that Hunter would lean to heavily on spiritual practices to bring about re-ordered desire, and not enough on the gracious, transformative work of the Holy Spirit.  I was relieved to find that Hunter refers multiple times to a person coming alongside the ongoing work of the Spirit.  Hunter is not a Pelagian.  He recognizes that complete re-order of desire won't happen on earth.  I think he is also encouraging that Christians mustn't think of themselves as victims and hopeless to fall into sin.  Our hearts can be transformed.  Step by step, day by day, we can put on the character of Christ.  By following Hunter's advice and placing ourselves into the story God is telling we can begin living for something larger than little sins.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…