Why Should I Say "Bless You" After You Sneeze?


A few months ago I decided to stop saying "bless you" to people after they sneeze.  Well, I've mostly stopped.  Habits are hard to break.

Saying bless you is such a weird social construct.  No one really believes that during a sneeze your spirit is somehow opened up for an evil spirit to slip in.  Many people don't even believe in evil spirits.  But that's a whole other post.

I'm all for the sneezer being required to say excuse me.  I mean, come on, you just populated the air around you with nastiness.  You are the offender to my breathing.  So, why should I bless you?  I don't bless you when you belch or pass flatus, and I don't think sneezing is any different.

It's funny when you rebel against something so ingrained in cultural norms.  Now when people around me sneeze there is this long pause while they wait for me to say the magic words that will protect their vulnerable souls.  And when I say nothing there is so much awkwardness in the room it is almost hilarious.

Don't worry, if you say bless you to me I won't punch you, but I won't be offended if you choose to say nothing either.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How to Make an ISTJ Calm and Happy

Lessons from Mt Everest