Thursday, September 20, 2012

Culver's and Conversation

My son Jacob is playing in a flag football league twice a week.  He's having a blast running around the field with his huge orange mouth guard in his mouth, shouting and encouraging his teammates.  He's not the fastest running or the most 'game smart' but he loves it and he does an awesome job cheering on others.

After the game I took him to Culver's and we enjoyed a concrete mixer and some conversation.  It was a nice time just being together and talking.  I tried to engage him and find out about what was going on at school or anything else he wanted to talk about.  We didn't get into the weighty theological conversations I was hoping for, (smiley face), but we did have fun talking about sports, friends, and how to treat others with kindness in all situations.

I'm a believer that there is huge gains to be made in small deposits of time and energy into children.  However, I don't do mini dates nights like this with my kids enough.  Tonight was a good reminder of the importance of short, focused, one-on-one time with my kids.

What fun things do you like to do with your kids that make positive deposits in your relational bank with them?

No comments:

 

Blog Archive