Skip to main content

30 Things I'm Thankful for This November

1.  That Jesus saved me from my sins and gives me grace enough for each day
2.  For my wife Stephanie who encourages me, forgives me, inspires me, sharpens me, and is tons of fun to be with
3.  That my three children are healthy, intelligent, energetic, spontaneous, fun, and loving
4.  For my church family and all the wonderful people we're building relationships with there as we serve and connect and worship
5.  For a home that is bigger than we need and all the things inside it's walls that mark us as a blessed and provided for family
6.  That God gave me parents who love him, nourished my faith, and continue to love and support me always
7.  For siblings who I can count on for anything, and who pray for me and encourage me whenever I need it
8.  For neighbors who are fun, generous, helpful, and loving towards me and my family
9.  For a family through marriage that is loving, generous and always helpful
10.  That I have a job to pay my bills and buy a few extras
11.  That my kids can go to a private, Christian school to learn not only about math and science, but about Jesus too
12.  For the experiences in my past, good and bad, that have made me the person I am today
13.  For God's new mercy and grace everyday
14.  For a mind that learns quickly, makes connections easily, and understands most things without too much effort
15.  To live in a city with all kinds of opportunities for our family to engage and have fun with others and with one another
16.  That I was able to attend seminary and receive a Master's of Divinity degree on scholarship
17.  For friends new and old that have invested in my family and I in countless ways
18.  That I was able to play college hockey and for the friendships I gained while doing so
19.  Opportunities to travel and share messages about Jesus in different churches
20.  For the healing that comes from Jesus and the way He can rebuild relationships and souls
21.  For the memories we made as a family this year including water park hotels, sports, travel to the cabin, and countless movie nights with popcorn
22.  That my parents are still alive and doing well after moving to a new home up north
23.  That my sister is married and expecting her very first child next year
24.  That I have a hope in the great work God is doing in my life and the excitement that come when trying to follow His lead
25.  For all the new people I have met at work and for the chance I have to show Jesus to them in the way I lead
26.  For the chance to learn new things and develop new skills after being selected to open a new Walmart store in Lakeville
27.  That my body is healthy and functioning well
28.  For all the new friendships, opportunities, and experiences that came along this year
29.  That I was able to coach Andrew's tee ball team this summer and that we were the Boston Red Sox
30.  And for all the countless blessings Jesus has chosen to bestow upon my family and I that we are undoubtedly unaware of



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…