Being a Great Finisher

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. 
- St. Paul, 2 Timothy 4:7-8

One of the areas I'm working on improving in my personal life is being a better finisher. When I played hockey I was a gifted finisher. If I had the puck in an opportunity to score I could usually put it in the back of the net. At work, when I'm given a project I work until the task is complete and done well. If I have a deadline to speak somewhere I make sure that my talk has been written, edited and that everything is in place before I speak. However, in my 'down time' I don't finish as well as I want to.

The side mirror on my car has been broken and not replaced for over a year. I've been designing and painting bean bag boards for two years. There are a few projects in my yard that just keep getting put off for another day. I understand that life happens and I try to be available to whomever instead of always working on something, but I think I've fallen victim to the opposite extreme of busyness. Procrastination and idleness.

In the passage above the Apostle Paul wrote about finishing his life well. He had given all he had in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. He could say with confidence that he had fought the good fight. Like a great boxer Paul kept punching and punching and moving forward. He wasn't idle, he wasn't lazy; he was ready to move on to heaven with no regrets about his efforts on earth. He lived with passion, purpose and productivity. Paul was a great finisher.

There is another great finisher in the Bible. His name was Jesus. He came to earth and lived on a mission for 33 years. At the end of his life he gave everything he had to finishing well the purpose for which he was sent. Jesus went willingly to the cross to complete what his Father had sent him to do, namely to die as a substitute for the sins of humanity, and through that death and subsequent resurrection, to pave the way for broken men and women to be healed and to be reunited with God in Heaven, through Christ. Jesus was a great finisher.

I want to be more like Jesus and more like Paul in every area of my life. I want to be a great finisher. In all areas. Work and home.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Lessons from Mt Everest