Signs You Are Growing in Maturity
|You can buy this t-shirt here.|
Maturity. This world needs more of it. Agreed? In 1 Corinthians 13:11 the Apostle Paul wrote,
When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
Too many men (and women) are speaking, thinking and reasoning like children. They are self-absorbed, unrestrained, undisciplined, and irresponsible. They blame others for their problems, refuse to acknowledge reality, and show no signs of wanting to grow up. I see people like this at the store, I work with them and I read about them in the paper.
I've been thinking about my own maturity and what I need to do so that I continue growing as a man, husband, father, etc. With another birthday coming up soon I want to take time to reflect not just on the people around me but on my own life as well.
How do you know if you're growing in maturity?
- you plan ahead and show up on time
- you are aware of your situation and your words
- you know your weaknesses and you're working to improve them
- you are confident in your skills but still learning and growing
- you take responsibility for what happens to you, you don't blame others
- you don't expect anyone else to meet your needs
- you don't feel entitled
- you receive feedback and look for kernels of truth in it
Christian maturity includes the list above, but adds a few more distinctives:
- you praise the Lord through ALL circumstances
- you grow in humility, without realizing it
- you actively look for ways to bless others
- you are a peace-maker
- you are self-controlled in word and action
- you have a deepening sense of trust in God
- you have an expanding sense of awe at God's glory
- you share your faith with others in a contagious way
- you are developing relationships within God's family, the church
- you are aware of your utter dependance on Christ for salvation, forgiveness and all things
Anything you'd add to either list?