Skip to main content

We Need Real Friends to Help Us Along


When the proverbial poop hits the fan in my life I have three people I go to immediately for prayer, wisdom and support.  I can call, or I can text.  Anytime and I know they will be there.  Sometimes they encourage me and other times they rebuke me, but they are always FOR me.  That makes all the difference.  It is what I call Gospel Friendship.

Yesterday my Bible reading plan for 2013 (you can download some great reading plans here) brought me to the first few chapters of the Book of Job.  In these chapters Job, a man who loves God, goes through some pretty tough stuff.  All his animals get killed, one of his properties is destroyed and all his children suddenly die.  Not a great day!  Then, as if all that wasn't enough, Job gets a nasty skin disease, followed by some harsh words from his wife about his trust in God.

In chapter 3 some of Job's friends come to visit him.  The Bible say they sat with him in silence and sorrow for a week.  It is an example of Gospel Friendship.  Unfortunately, Jobs friends eventually open their mouths and say all kinds of dumb things to Job about his situation.  Not Gospel Friendship.

I cherish the friends in my life who deal with me in spirit and in truth.  I am such a broken guy that I need the wise input of loving friends to help me.  I need friends in my corner praying for me and lifting up my burdens to God.  I need friends to call me out when I'm acting the fool, and friends who will hold me accountable when I fall short of acting like the man I desire to be.  I need friends who will sit beside me in silence when I'm in sorrow, and who will speak God's Word to me when I need it.

I'm am not smart enough, sanctified enough, or strong enough to get through life alone.  Thank God that he puts people in our lives to help us.  Look for these people and when you find them commit to being open, authentic and honest before them.  They are put their by God for your good and for your growth.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Won't Let My Kids Wear Clothes with Skulls on Them

Yesterday I threw out a poll question on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  The poll question asked, "Should Christians wear attire with skulls on it?"  I received some great comments from people with a variety of opinions.  You can read the comments on my timeline from 8/8/13.

My opinion is that Christians should not wear clothes with skulls on them.

I don't have one specific Bible verse that I can use to prove my point.  Jesus never said, "Thou shalt not wear clothes with skulls."  I do however think there are number of conclusions that can be drawn from Scripture that support my opinion.

1.  Jesus does care about the clothes we wear.
I don't believe God's people are free to wear whatever they want.  From the Old Testament all the way through the New Testament you can find Biblical language related to clothes.  There are laws in Leviticus about clothes.  God instructed the OT priests on what to wear don't believe God's people are free to wear wh…

How Stephanie and I Celebrated 15 Years of Marriage

Yesterday Stephanie and I celebrated 15 years of marriage! 
To kick off the festivities, on Wednesday afternoon Stephanie bought a new car from Harry Browns in Faribault. She said good goodbye to the minivan and bought a 2014 Dodge Journey. She picked out a great new vehicle and her dad Ralph channeled his inner New Yorker to haggle us a great price.
We started the day Thursday driving to St. Peter to pick up Isabelle from the "Gustie" Basketball and Leadership camp. She spent 4 days there learning, practicing and having a blast. We celebrated together as a family with some Godfather's Pizza!
After getting back to Northfield I dropped the kids off at some friend's houses so Stephanie and I could be alone together. Having great friends who help with the kids is such a blessing. 
Stephanie had the idea that we should get tattoos together. She didn't have to work hard to convince me! After asking for recommendations on Facebook we decided to check out  Guns and Nee…

Lessons from Mt Everest

It would be great is life was all fun and easy and exciting like glissading down a mountain side.  However life is actually much more like climbing up the mountain.  It is difficult, painful, dangerous and exhilarating all wrapped up into one.
Last Sunday I preached at a church in Northfield and I shared some thoughts about this.  I compared lessons I've learned studying mountain climbing to lessons I've learned living life.  Here are the five things I talked about, along with some accompanying Bible verses.
1. You have to have a goal and you have to work hard towards achieving it, sometimes for a long time ---> Jer 29:10-14  2. You have to expect setbacks (injury, weather, enemies, catastrophe) and roll with them ----> 2 Cor 4:8-10  3. You have to push yourself beyond what you thought possible ----> Phil 4:13  4. In most cases, you need others to help you (guides, logistics, cheerleaders, friends, expedition leader) ----> Heb 10:15   5. You have to acknowledg…